Ovchinnikov Vladimir Ivanovich (1911-1978)
Ovchinnikov spent his childhood and youth near Volga river in Saratov. He was born in peasant family, so his child impressions caused his loving native land and people. From 1928 to 1931 he was studying at Saratov Art School under the guidance of P.S. Utkin and in some time he reminded these lessons thankfully. After graduating from the School Ovchinnikov traveled along Volga and painted a lot of etudes in the nature. In 1931 the artist leaved for Leningrad, but Volga remained the main mine of his creative afflatus, where he checked the truthfulness of his creative searches. In 1932 he entered the Academy of Arts. But after finishing the first course he had to stop studying. He worked as a artist- decorator in different institutes in Leningrad, but in spite of earthly difficulties he went for self creative work. Ovchinnikov was studying at the studio of artist V.E. Savinsky and then at the private institute of art skill improving, where the teachers were P.S.Naumov, A.E. Karev, M.D. Bershtein, A.S. Gutchin etc.
During in-war years Ovchinnikov started working at Leningrad branch of Telegraph Agency of the Soviet Union on decoration of “Agitokon”. In 1942 being badly ill he was taken from the blockade city to Saratov. After getting well Ovchinnikov graduated from the military school and continued fighting at the front till the war ending. After coming back to Leningrad the artist worked hard again. Among the pictures of this period we can mention a lot of etudes, painted in Leningrad and its suburbs (Priozersk, Komarovo, Levashovo, Mullupelto).
From the 1950-th we can talk about the first success- Ovchinnikov’s canvases were exposed at Leningrad exhibitions. The artist worked at large landscapes. After he exhibited the picture “On Volga” (1953) he became a member of Leningrad branch of Artist Union.
Ovchinnikov worked hard and successfully and took part in all Leningrad exhibitions. His landscapes were exhposed at Republic and the All-Union exhibitions. His pictures are preserved at the State Russian Museum, the State Tretyakov Gallery and other Russian and foreign museum and private collections.